- About Us
Dance/Movement Therapy is a therapeutic approach based on the principle that the psyche and the body are intimately linked and influence each other. Thus, through movement and body expression, participants can explore the discovery of themselves, their bodies in movement, their experiences, their emotions and sensations, as well as their creativity. Certain elements of dance (body awareness, non-verbal and symbolic communication, rhythm, space, gestures and postures, improvisation) are used as therapeutic and/or recovery tools to promote physical and mental health transformation and wellness.
At Expression LaSalle, Dance/Movement Therapy is used in a group context. Participants are not required to have any previous dance experience. However, this service is recommended for people who have the capacity to do light to medium intensity movements. Wearing comfortable clothing is also recommended.
Dance/Movement Therapy groups are weekly, two-hour meetings. In a safe and therapeutic environment, each member of the group has the opportunity to accompany the other participants and to be accompanied along this journey of self-discovery, as they work to find, recognize and strengthen their potential to bring about positive change. The group also offers the opportunity to work on social skills: non-verbal and verbal communication.
– Explore the connection between mental and physical health.
– Move your body and increase your movement repertoire as much as possible and desired.
– Release your creativity and spontaneity.
– Recognize and express feelings and emotions.
– Promote a better capacity for introspection and self-knowledge.
– Practice being in the moment and regulating emotions through improvisation, relaxation and grounding techniques.
– Explore and improvise in movement to discover new ways of being.
– Relate to others verbally and non-verbally.- Explore self-esteem and body image, (re)appropriation and body awareness.